Paris, 30 May 2017: During European Sustainable Development Week, Sopra Steria announced its significant commitment to the UN’s international agenda by 2030. The Group’s actions contribute to 16 of the 171 key goals defined by the UN charter in 2015, which cover the next 15 years.
In 2015, 193 United Nations Member States officially adopted a programme2 to include 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for 2030. The programme is centred on economic growth, social inclusion and environmental protection. Sopra Steria is committed to these SDGs and already contributes to 16 of the 171 goals. These goals have already been integrated into the strategic dimension of Sustainable Development and make up an action plan for peace, humanity, prosperity and the planet.
Sopra Steria in the UK is aligning its sustainability programme with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by identifying activities, performance indicators and objectives in each of its sustainability workstreams – Community, Environment, Marketplace and Workplace – that contribute to achievement of the Goals, for example:
- Our work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through the value chain – from our own operations, in services to customers and throughout our supply chain – contribute to the SDGs for climate change
- Our gender diversity initiatives that seek to get more women in leadership and more females into technology careers support the Gender Equality SDG
- Our initiatives supporting education, employment and entrepreneurship contribute to a number of SDGs including No Poverty and Decent Work & Economic Growth
The company’s sustainability approach has built a reputation for embracing leading standards and best practices, for example:
- We are also a signatory to the UN Global Compact
- We have set long term emissions reduction goals which have been approved by The Science Based Target Initiative (a UN, WWF, WRI & CDP consortium)
- We use the ISAE3000 & ISO14064-3 standard for ensuring the accuracy of our greenhouse gas emissions reporting (which is externally verified)
- We are externally certified the ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Standard
- We have adopted new standards such as Power Plus and Water Benefits Certificates that drive sustainable development through clean energy and water
Discover more about Sopra Steria's commitment to Sustainability.
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals taken into account by Sopra Steria include:
- SDG 1: No poverty
- SDG 3: Good health and well-being
- SDG 4: Quality education
- SDG 5: Gender equality
- SDG 6: Clean water and sanitation
- SDG 7: Affordable and clean energy
- SDG 8: Decent work and economic growth
- SDG 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- SDG 10: Reduced inequalities
- SDG 11: Sustainable cities and communities
- SDG 12: Responsible consumption and production
- SDG 13: Climate action
- SDG 14: Life below water (protection of fauna and flora)
- SDG 15: Life on land (protection of the environment)
- SDG 16: Peace, justice and strong institutions
- SDG 17: Partnerships for the goals
1 SDG 2: Zero Hunger (Eliminating Hunger, Ensuring Food Security, Improving Nutrition and Promoting Sustainable Agriculture) specific to the agri-food sector.
Image courtesy of www.un.org