Helping Carpetright to understand and address their data and information maturity to improve their competitive advantage
Carpetright is a leading floor coverings and beds provider, employing over 3,000 people across Europe. Carpetright trades from 420 stores and concessions in the UK as well as 137 stores across Holland, Belgium and the Republic of Ireland. Its floor coverings range include carpets, laminate flooring, vinyl flooring, luxury vinyl tiles, engineered wood and artificial grass, while its beds range also extends to mattresses and headboards.
Carpetright is currently undertaking a significant technology refresh programme with a view to replacing core operational and reporting systems. However, they recognised that these new technologies and business processes must be underpinned by high quality data in order to deliver actionable business insights.
They needed a partner who could help them to understand how well they were currently managing data across their business and where they could exploit good practice and deliver improvements within, or alongside, their technology refresh programme.
- Assessed the maturity of Carpetright’s data and information management practices, including people and organisation, business process and technology
- Provided recommendations which used existing strengths and good practices to instigate broader improvements to the organisation’s data maturity level
- Helped define a strategy to enable migration away from the current data warehousing solution
- Advised on what data should be migrated to new ERP and warehouse solutions and what could, and should, be archived
- Identified areas where unstructured data is being used and provided suggestions on the wider use of current and new data sources to help build a competitive advantage
Sopra Steria was chosen to work with Carpetright using our D2i (Data to Insight) Maturity Assessment to understand their current data and information processes, identifying areas of strength that could be further exploited as well as improvement opportunities for the business.
We understand that an organisation’s ability to make the right decisions relies upon having the right information available at the right time. This high quality information can only be realised through high quality underlying data; the result of efficient and stringently governed data management processes and use of appropriate tools.
Our D2i assessment enables organisations to quickly assess their current data maturity. It provides a detailed roadmap for improvement to deliver a more mature data management culture.
- Starts with fact finding throughout the business using pre-defined questionnaires and workshops
- Reviews all key documents, including data models, integration architecture and business process maps
- Delivers a detailed report showing current data maturity levels and benchmarks against other organisations
- Pinpoints areas for improvement and provides recommendations and an action plan with activities and deliverables to enable business case development
- Involves a broad range of stakeholders across all business functions to ensure outcomes meet expectations across the business
The D2i assessment can show how more efficient data and information management can lead to measurable benefits for an organisation encompassing areas like reducing errors and re-work, process automation and clearer ownership, resulting in better quality information and more effective decision making for the business.
How we worked together
Our D2i assessment required close working between our consultants and Carpetright. It comprised a series of interviews with Carpetright executives, management team and subject matter experts and was delivered through four phases:
- Scoping – Carpetright and Sopra Steria agreed the terms of the engagement, specific focus areas to be addressed and agreed success criteria
- Planning – Stakeholders and contributors were identified and individual discussions were arranged
- Analysis – Data and Information artefacts, such as monthly reports and architectural diagrams were reviewed alongside the individual interviews to form a deep understanding of data and information management across the organisation
- Reporting – The results of the maturity assessment were played back to Carpetright’s key stakeholders, highlighting improvement opportunities and providing recommendations to help increase overall maturity levels
Results and benefits
Our D2i Assessment has provided an independent review of Carpetright’s maturity with regard to data and information management and use. Providing them with:
- New insight as to the challenge areas which the organisation faces around their data
- A number of recommendation for improvements which they could implement
- Validation of focus areas to be taken forward within the context of their IT and Business Strategies.
Through the assessment we have provided insight into how more efficient data and information management could lead to measurable benefits for Carpetright resulting in better quality information and more effective decision making.
"This assessment has been instrumental in shaping our approach to delivering new tools into the organisation and how we will leverage their capabilities."
Marcel Borlin Chief Technology Officer